If you have your heart set on adding a purebred Great Dane to your family, you have a couple of options. You can visit your local shelter in hopes of finding a Dane in need of a loving home, you can visit a private rescue in hopes of adopting a rescued Dane, or you can seek out a reputable breeder of Great Danes.
While shelters and rescues are good options, and we encourage you to try these options first, oftentimes you will only find mixed breed puppies and/or purebred adults. If you really want a purebred Great Dane puppy, a breeder is likely your best bet.
Purchasing a Great Dane from a reputable breeder offers many advantages:
1) Knowledge and Advice – A reputable Great Dane breeder knows the breed and can offer excellent advice and insight into whether or not a Great Dane is a good fit for your family. Honest and respectable breeders are more interested in placing their Danes in appropriate, loving homes than in earning a quick buck.
2) Help In Choosing The Right Puppy – All puppies are different. It can be difficult for you to determine if a particular puppy will grow up to be assertive or mellow, high energy or laid back. Good breeders know their breed and their puppies, and they can guide you in choosing the right puppy for your circumstances.
3) You’ll Get To Meet The Parents – A reputable breeder will encourage you to visit their kennel so they can get to know you. While visiting you will have an opportunity to meet one, or both of your puppy’s parents. This will give you a good idea of what the future holds for your puppy with regard to looks, size, and temperament.
4) You Will Know Your Puppy’s Pedigree – Responsible breeders research the pedigrees of their sires and dams and should be happy to share this information with you. Your breeder will likely have information on your puppy’s parents, grandparents, and even great grandparents. A reputable breeder will also be able to provide proof that parents and/or grandparents are free of any ailments common to the breed.
5) Your Puppy Will Be Representative Of The Breed – A reputable breeder of Great Danes carefully selects sires and dams to ensure that the litters they produce are good representations of the breed standards. Breed standards define coat lengths and colors, height and weight, and many other physical characteristics of the breed.
6) Your Puppy’s Health Will Be Guaranteed – All reputable breeders ensure that their puppies are given a clean bill of health by a licensed veterinarian and typically offer a health guarantee. While the terms of these guarantees vary by breeder, you should feel confident that you are buying a healthy and happy puppy.
7) Lifetime Support and Expertise – A reputable breeder cares about the animals they breed and are happy to offer expert advice with regard to nutrition, exercise, training, and grooming. You should be encouraged to reach out to your breeder anytime you have questions, from puppyhood to their golden years.
8) Your Puppy Will Always Have a Loving Home – Reputable breeders feel responsible for the puppies they produce. They would be mortified to learn that one of their extended family members was left in a shelter, or on the streets. A reputable breeder will almost always take an animal back, for any reason and at any stage in life. Some breeders will require that you sign a contract giving them first right of refusal should you become unable to care for the animal.
In conclusion, don’t discount shelters and rescues. These animals need loving homes and many rewarding relationships begin here. Adopting a pet from a shelter or rescue is also less expensive and you will be helping an animal in need.
However, if you are looking for a purebred puppy, you may have a difficult time finding one at a shelter or rescue, and working with a reputable breeder provides many benefits for you and the breed.