10 Common House Plants That Can Poison Your Dane

Dane smelling flower

House plants can add natural beauty to your home, but many can be dangerous for your pets. Before you decide to liven up your home or garden with a little greenery, be sure to do your research. Many common house plants are poison for your Great Dane, with symptoms ranging from burns and rashes to comas and even death. Below are ten such plants that you should keep away from your four-legged friends.

Please Note: This is not an exhaustive list of poisonous plants. For a more complete list of plants that are dangerous for your pet, please visit the ASPCA’s Poison Control site.

azaleaAzalea

While very beautiful, Azalea is also very dangerous for Great Danes and other pets. Ingesting just a few leaves can lead to oral irritation, vomiting, diarrhea, and dehydration. In some cases eating the Azalea can cause low blood pressure, coma, and even death in dogs.

bird of paradiseBird of Paradise

The Bird of Paradise is a uniquely beautiful and very popular house plant. Yet despite its optimistic name, it can be toxic if eaten by your dog. Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, dehydration and drowsiness.

 

caladiumCaladium

The broad colorful leaves of the Caladium plant make it a favorite of many homeowners. However, it is bad news if ingested by your Dane. Caladium can cause swelling and burning of the mouth and tongue, excessive salivation, and vomiting.

daffodilDaffodil

Every part of the Daffodil is poisonous for dogs, with the Daffodil bulb being most dangerous. Ingesting any part of this plant can cause serious issues. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, irregular heart beat, convulsions, and low blood pressure.

desert roseDesert Rose

The stark, almost primitive beauty of the Desert Rose makes for a striking and easy to care for house plant. Unfortunately, it is a silent killer where pets are concerned. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, arrhythmia, and even death.

foxgloveFoxglove

These beautiful flowers are a hummingbird’s dream, but a nightmare for your Great Dane. Every part of the foxglove plant is toxic to your dog and ingesting seeds, stems, leaves or flowers can cause cardiac failure and even death.

mumsMums

These lovely flowers are members of the Chrysanthemum family and are highly toxic for your dog. Common symptoms of mum ingestion include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling and loss of coordination.

oleanderOleander

Common Oleander is one of the most poisonous plants on our list. Like Foxglove, Oleander contains cardiac glycosides, which are very toxic to dogs, and can cause fatal heart abnormalities, muscle tremors, lack of coordination, vomiting and bloody diarrhea.

Peace LilyPeace Lily

The Peace Lily contains calcium oxalate crystals, which are absorbed into the skin. If a dog chews on any part of this plant, the crystals can cause intense burning and irritation of the mouth, tongue and lips. It can also cause excessive drooling, vomiting and difficulty swallowing.

philodendronPhilodendron

Philodendron is a very popular house plant. Its simple beauty and low maintenance requirements make it easy to own and enjoy. However, it is highly toxic if ingested and can cause severe oral irritation, digestive issues, spasms, and even seizures.

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *