10 Things To Keep Away From Your Great Dane

counter surfer

As a Great Dane owner you know that your four-legged friend is capable of reaching things that most dogs can’t even see. Because of this, Great Dane owners need to be extra careful with where they store food items, medications, candy, and alcohol. Many items that we consume on a regular basis can seriously hurt, or even kill your Dane.

Here are ten things that you should definitely keep out of your Dane’s reach, but there are others. For a more comprehensive list, or if you are unsure about a particular food or plant your dog ingested, contact your vet or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center.

Chocolate –

Chocolate contains theobromine, which is not at all good for your pooch. Chocolate also contains caffeine, another no-no for your Great Dane. Depending on the type and amount of chocolate your dog ingests symptoms of toxicity might include vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, dehydration, seizures, and even death. Definitely keep your dog away from chocolate.

Pecans, Walnuts, and Macadamia Nuts –

While some nuts are fine for your Great Dane, these three are potentially lethal. Even a small amount Macadamia can be lethal. Symptoms include tremors, vomiting, increased body temperature and weak back legs. Pecans and Walnuts can contain tremorgenic mycotoxins, which can cause seizures or neurological symptoms.

Onions and Chives –

Onions and Chives contain disulfides and sulfoxides which can damage your dog’s red blood cells and cause anemia. Bear in mind that many human foods contain dried, minced, or powdered onions, so it is important to know what is in the people treats you feed your Dane.

Garlic –

Like onions, garlic contains disulfides and sulfoxides which can destroy red blood cells and cause your Dane to become anemic. Signs of ingesting too much garlic include vomiting, weakness, and trouble breathing.

Grapes and Raisins –

Even small amounts of grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in your Great Dane. Vomiting, low energy, and depression are common signs. There are numerous accounts of dogs dying from just a handful of these toxic treats. A definite no-no for your beloved Dane.

Peaches, Plums, and Persimmons –

It is not so much the fruits themselves, but the pits which contain cyanide, a known poison. In addition, the pits can become lodged in your dog’s throat, or cause an obstruction or other intestinal problem.

Avocado –

Like peach, plum, and persimmon pits, avocado pits represent a choking hazard for your dog. In addition, avocado contains persin, which can cause diarrhea, vomiting and heart congestions.

Xylitol –

Xylitol is a sugar alcohol found in gum, candy, baked goods and other foods that contain sugar substitutes. Even some peanut butter (generally a healthy treat) can contain xylitol, so it always pays to read the nutritional label. Xylitol is extremely toxic for dogs and even a small amount can result in serious health problems and even death.

Tobacco –

Tobacco contains nicotine which is toxic for your dog and potentially lethal. Symptoms of nicotine poisoning can show within an hour of ingestion and include vomiting, weakness, tremors and abnormal heart rate.

Alcohol –

It is not funny to give your dog alcohol. It not only causes intoxication, but also problems with coordination, breathing, and acidity. In some cases alcohol ingestion can put your dog into a coma, and in severe cases can be fatal.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *